There are numerous spots on the National Register of Historic Places right in our backyard. Spend an afternoon touring around town and learn about what once was. We’ve listed a few interesting historic spots below.
- Bartram’s Covered Bridge: This historic covered bridge was built in 1860 but closed to traffic in 1941. It uses a Burr Truss design and is the only covered bridge remaining of the 30 which once stood in Delaware County.
- Brandywine Battlefield: The 1777 Battle of Brandywine during the American Revolution was a major victory for the British which helped them to capture Philadelphia.
- Chadds Ford Historic District: This district includes 17 buildings in Chadds Ford village include the Chadds Ford Inn and the Christian C. Sanderson Museum.
- John P. Crozer II Mansion: This historic mansion, also known as Allcutt Property, was built in 1879-1880 entirely of California redwood.
- Grange Estate: George Washington frequented this Gothic Revival style mansion. The grounds also feature Victorian gardens.
- Octagonal School House: The one-room, one-story schoolhouse was built in 1841. The eight-sided building was abandoned as a school in 1865 and then restored in 1964.
- Landsdowne Theater: Built in 1928, this historic theater has street level shops and offices above, and a 1,400 seat auditorium.
- Thunderbird Lodge: In 1904, Architect Will Price converted this existing circa-1790 stone barn into studios for the artists Charles H. and Alice Barber Stephens.
- N.C. Wyeth House: The 18-acre site includes the home of painter N. C. Wyeth, his studio, a barn and other structures. The Brandywine River Museum offers tours of the site.